Everyone hates junk mail. Seriously. EVERYONE. Republicans, Democrats, Socialists, Carnivores & Vegans… Everyone.
Over the years – I’ve figured out a way to remove myself from the mass mailings. It does take some effort but it’s not hard. My mail box is consistently empty. Like it should be.
I’ve tried various apps and services. But…the only thing that’s truly worked are these 5 steps. And by 5…I mean 8. I’ve added more links over the years because more direct mail companies started selling your information.
It takes about 15 minutes to complete these forms. It’s worth it.
- Contact your bank and find their way to get removed. They don’t make this easy! But this is a huge source of junk mail. They sell your information like CRAZY. You need to start here.
- Opt-out of pre-screened credit offers. This majorly reduces the chances of identity theft. You can substantially reduce the number of pre- screened, pre-approved, credit card applications you receive by calling 888-5OPTOUT (888-567-8688), or sign up online at www.optoutprescreen.com.
- Contact the Direct Marketing Association’s Mail Preference Service Opt Out Form
- In Canada: Submit a form through the Canadian Do Not Mail Service.
- Remove yourself from Valassis: They are a Top 10 national direct mail printer and completing their form makes a huge difference!
- Opt out here too! https://isapps.acxiom.com/optout/optout.aspx
*** NEW and Updated OPT OUT LINKS **** as of January 11, 2018
To keep from getting adding BACK on lists:
- Don’t ever send in registration or warranty forms. They sell that information. If you have a valid warranty claim you can provide information if needed.
- You can additionally call any company mailing you crap and ask to be removed. It takes some time, but after a few months you’ll see a difference.
- Talk to your spouse! If you’re removing yourself from lists and they are signing up for mail…you’ll be frustrated and won’t get far. You must decided if you’re a junk mail tolerant family.
Disclaimer: These companies change their “Opt Out” links ALL the time. They don’t make getting off lists easy. But if you are diligent …. you will see fast results! If a link above is broken or re-directs you elsewhere…please let me know! They change these ALL the time.