I have been getting SO many questions about the online teaching opportunity.It’s been a source of great fun the last few months. I’ve compiled the most common questions and included the application link below. If you have questions let me know!
What exactly is VIPKID?
It’s an online ESL teaching program with headquarters in Beijing, China. You teach English to kids between the ages of 4-12 who (mostly) live in China. All classes are one-on-one and conducted online through the VIPKID portal. Their portal is essentially their version of Facetime or Skype.
How are you paid?
As an independent contractor, my payment or “service fee” is calculated on a per-class basis (scheduled in 30-minute slots). It works out to be about $10/per class or $20/per hour. You can make up to $22/hour.
Here are some quick facts about the program:
- You pick your own hours. (There’s no minimum or maximum amount of hours required.)
- Each class is 25 minutes with one student
- Some people teach a few classes before their regular job.
- I work in the evenings 9:30-11:30pm.
- There’s NO direct sales or pyramids.
- You don’t create curriculum. You log on and follow their PowerPoint.
- You rarely interact with parents.
What are the qualifications?
- Bachelors degree
- Some K-12 teaching experience (Sunday school, AWANA, VBS and/or volunteering counts)
- Teaching credential is preferred but not required.
- TESOL / TOEFL Certificate preferred but not required.
Since you’re working remotely, there are technical requirements:
- A desktop or laptop with a webcam (platform not supported by phone or tablets)
- Headset with microphone
- Fast Internet
- Chrome Browser
The pay is good and there’s minimal prep time. There is a learning curve in the beginning understanding their program and policies…but it gets easier real fast.
I’ve met a large number of teachers who eventually quit their full time job to do this exclusively. And many others who’ve added this during the summer or evenings for extra income. The people I know who’ve applied…LOVE it.
Anyways- if you decide to apply. Use my link below … they allow (and encourage) current teachers to help applicants in the process.
Yes. For full disclosure. This is a referral link. There is a massive waiting list and they’ve asked current teachers to help recruit.
Here is the complete How to Apply from corporate. Please don’t get overwhelmed. Contact me if you have questions.
**APPLICATION TIP**: On the initial application, there’s a section that says “resume” — but don’t copy & paste your entire resume! This needs to be simple and concise. A computer will scan and search for specific phrasing. Simpler is better for the initial screening. You can elaborate on your skills once you get an interview.
Hope this helps!
P.S. As a VIPKID Teacher, I created a short intro video for Chinese parents to get to know me. If you’re looking for ideas for your video…here’s mine below! But please, create a video that highlights YOUR personality. This is my style. Semi formal, awkward hand motions, with a little bit of quirk at the end.